The final step to becoming a licensed driver in the state of California is to appear for the driving test or the road test. In order to be eligible for the Driver’s License test in California, an applicant will have to fulfill certain conditions.
- The applicant must be at least 16 years old
- The applicant must have held their driving permit for at least six months
- The applicant must have completed their driver education
- The applicant must have completed 6 hours of professional driver training
- The applicant must have completed 6 hours of training with a licensed driving instructor and at least 50 hours of practice(10 of those at night) with an adult who is 25 years or older and is in possession of a valid California driver’s license. The adult must also certify of the same.
The Driver’s test in California is a relatively simple affair. An examiner will test your driving skills paying attention to how safely and carefully the candidate drives. Lasting an average of 20 minutes, the applicant cannot miss more than 15 to pass. The applicant is given 3 chances to pass the test, failing which they will have to appear for the written test again. Upon passing the Driver’s test in California, an interim license which is valid for 60 days is given. The original photo license will arrive by mail in the meanwhile.